Colorful, wholesome, plant-based bake with beetroot, carrot, oats, thyme and oregano.
This Savory Beetroot, Carrot and Oat Bake is one of my old recipes from the blog that I really wanted to revisit and make a vegan version of. And because we’ve just entered the Autumn I feel that this is the perfect time to share it again.
It’s such a colorful recipe that will certainly cheer you up during those cold winter months. It’s a bit of a fusion between my Beetroot, Carrot and Thyme Savory Muffins and Pumpkin and Oat Breakfast Bars. You could make this dish for the week ahead to have for a quick breakfast, snack or team it up with some salad for lunch or use it as a side dish with your dinner. I find this bake to be a really versatile dish.
It’s really a simple recipe to make, and not much could go wrong with it. I’ve simply grated beetroot and carrots and mixed them with fresh thyme, oregano, red onion, rolled oats, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, flax eggs and almond milk.
The result is a lovely earthy bake that I hope you’ll enjoy as much as me. I’ve used the baking paper mainly for the purpose of the pictures and you can just grease your baking dish with a little olive oil without lining it.
- 2 cups beetroot, about 2 large beets (250 grams)
- 2 cups carrots, about 3 medium carrots (250 grams)
- 1 red onion
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats (200 grams)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (50 grams)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (40 grams)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup almond milk (120 ml)
- Preheat the oven to 390 °F (200 °C) - 350 °F (180 °C fan)
- Grease 9"x 9" square baking dish with some olive oil or line with baking paper.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with water and set aside to thicken.
- Finely slice red onion and sauté with a bit of olive oil for about 5 minutes. Take off the heat and leave to cool down.
- Peel and coarsely grate beetroot and carrot and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together oats, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, thyme, oregano, sea salt and pepper until combined.
- Fold in beetroot, carrot and onion.
- Whisk flax eggs with almond milk and stir into the mixture. You should have moist mix.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased baking dish and smooth out the surface. Sprinkle with extra pumpkin seeds if you like and gently press them in.
- Bake for about 40 min.
- Enjoy warm or cold.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 189Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 317mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 6g