These wholesome, vegan, gluten-free and nut-free chocolate rich pumpkin bars make the perfect Autumn treat.
Autumn is in full swing now, Halloween around the corner and I have the first pumpkin bake for you today – Pumpkin Chocolate Bars. A very cozy Autumnal treat, wholesome and chocolate rich, just what we need at this time of a year. I love everything pumpkin and have been collecting the cutest pumpkins from my local Farmers market for a while now. I’ve made my own pumpkin puree for this recipe and it couldn’t be simpler.
This recipe is another vegan, gluten-free, nut and coconut-free recipe from my collaboration with Amore di Mona chocolate and I’ve talked about their lovely chocolate in this post if you like to have a read. I’m collaborating on these recipes, because I also get asked for nut, oat and coconut-free recipes from my readers. Most of the vegan and gluten-free desserts rely heavily on nuts and coconut and as much as I love to use them I also love creating these wholesome allergy friendly recipes for you.
Now to this bake, the recipe is fairly simple, I’ve used lovely warming spices and brown rice, buckwheat and arrowroot gluten-free blend. The bars are quite high and you could get away by using larger baking dish if you like or even use the mix to bake some muffins, just adjust the baking time accordingly.
If you like to make your own pumpkin puree, carefully cut your pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds and place onto a baking tray. Bake on 400 °F (200 °C) for about 45 minutes or until soft when pierced with a fork. Scoop out the flesh and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use and bake this yummy treat. Happy Autumn!
Special thank you to Amore di Mona for sponsoring this post.
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (480 ml)
- 1 cup brown rice flour (140 grams)
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour (70 grams)
- 1/4 cup arrowroot (30 grams)
- 1/3 cup rapadura sugar (50 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup olive oil (80 ml)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (60 ml)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons plus more if needed rice milk
- 2 cubes bulk chocolate (100 grams) or 3.5-ounce dark vegan chocolate
- 1 cube bulk chocolate (50 grams) or 1.75-ounce dark vegan chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C) - 320 ° F (160°C fan)
- Line 9" x 9" baking dish with baking paper.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with water and set aside to thicken.
- Chop the chocolate and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together brown rice flour, buckwheat flour, arrowroot, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together flax eggs, olive oil, maple syrup and apple cider vinegar. Whisk in pumpkin puree.
- Add the wet mix to the dry mix and mix until well combined. If the mix is too thick add 2 tablespoons of rice milk at a time. You want to achieve a moist muffin like consistency.
- Gently fold in chopped chocolate.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish and smooth out the top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a cocktail stick comes out clean. Try not to over bake them so they don't get too dry.
- Remove from the oven once ready and leave to cool down before removing from the tin.
- Gently melt the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave and drizzle over the bars.
- Cut into 9 bars.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 320Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 231mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 4gSugar: 22gProtein: 4g