Gluten-free, dairy-free savory courgette cake baked with buckwheat and rolled oats, flavored with garlic, olive oil, oregano and fresh basil.
More and more I’ve been experimenting with gluten-free baking, mainly because of my own personal healing journey and also of having the satisfaction of baking something wholesome and good for me. The basic recipe for this Savory Courgette and Buckwheat Cake came from my auntie, who’s always been my inspiration and who I’ve always admired so much.
I’ve changed the recipe to fit gluten and dairy-free diet and have used mix of buckwheat and rolled oats. The recipe uses generous amount of courgette and it’s flavored with garlic, olive oil, oregano and fresh basil.
All the flavors blend beautifully in the oven and it’s a lovely fragrant savory cake. Great recipe to try if you are looking for a gluten-free bread alternative. Lovely with thick vegetable soup, salad or just on it’s own. I like a slice still warm from the oven.
- 2 large courgettes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour (200 grams)
- 1 cup oats (100 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup olive oil (80 ml)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (40 grams)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan)
- Line 9" round cake tin with large piece of baking paper.
- Wash and coarsely grate courgettes, stir in crushed garlic and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk buckwheat flour, oats, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, sea salt and oregano.
- Stir in courgettes, garlic and chopped basil.
- In a small bowl whisk eggs with olive oil and mix in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Spoon the mixture into cake tin, sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and bake for about 45 min or until a cocktail stick comes out clean.
- Leave to cool down for 5 min before removing from the tin.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 267Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 534mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 6gSugar: 2gProtein: 8g