Since it’s an October and officially a pumpkin season I’ve got a few more pumpkin recipes coming for you. Last week I’ve been playing around with healthy breakfast ideas and have created this moist Pumpkin and Oat Breakfast Bars recipe.
They are really delicious bars made with fresh pumpkin, sweetened with few medjool dates and beautifully spiced with cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and cloves.
I’ve used fresh pumpkin that I’ve made into a puree, but I suppose you could use ready made one if you prefer. You could also use different nuts like pecans that are traditionally teamed up with pumpkin. The bars will be moist due to the amount of pumpkin, so I recommend to store leftovers in a fridge.
Great eaten warm or cold and a fantastic option if you have a little time in the morning and need to grab a quick breakfast or a snack for later. And if you have some pumpkin puree leftover you can treat yourself to a Pumpkin, Orange and Turmeric Smoothie. Enjoy! x
- 480ml pumpkin puree (2 cups) from 1kg pumpkin
- 100g pitted medjool dates, about 6 dates
- 2tbsp coconut oil
- 200g gluten-free oats (2 cups)
- 100g desiccated coconut (1 cup)
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp cinnamon
- ½tsp cardamom
- ½tsp ginger
- ¼tsp cloves
- pinch of sea salt
- 75g walnuts, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 40g pumpkin seeds (1/4 cup)
- To make the pumpkin puree, peel the pumpkin, remove the seeds and chop into wedges. Place into a pot with water, bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 min until soft. Drain, leave to cool down and blend into a puree. If you prefer you can roast pumpkin instead.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan)
- Line 9" square baking dish with large piece of baking paper.
- Blend 2 cups of pumpkin puree with medjool dates and coconut oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together oats, coconut, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves and salt.
- Add pumpkin mix and chopped walnuts and mix well together.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared dish, sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and bake for about 30-40 min until browned around the edges.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
- Store in a fridge.