It’s January, it’s cold and I’m in need of some comfort baking. And so today’s recipe is a Banana Bread with Chocolate Chunks to satisfy those needs. I’ve made it with my new favourite gluten-free mix of ground almonds, buckwheat and oat flour. This combination works great together, it’s wholesome, healthy and doesn’t need any binders that gluten-free flour mixes have. I’ve sweetened it with a little maple syrup, but the sweetness really comes from the bananas, so do use ones that are really ripe.
To make oat flour blend oats in high speed blender or food processor into flour like consistency and then mix with ground almonds and buckwheat flour to make the dry mix. I’ve baked this bread with both coconut oil and olive oil and have to say olive oil makes it a little more moist. The chopped chocolate and flaked almonds are pretty optional and feel free to leave them out if you like. If you’d like a grain-free version I have a really yummy Banana Bread Recipe made with chestnut flour and walnuts.
- 3 medium bananas
- 100g ground almonds (1 cup)
- 70g buckwheat flour (1/2 cup)
- 50g oat flour (1/2 cup)
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2tsp cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 60ml maple syrup (1/4 cup)
- 60ml melted coconut oil or olive oil (1/4 cup)
- 1tsp vanilla
- 50g dark chocolate, chopped
- flaked almonds for topping
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan)
- Line a 30x11cm tin with baking paper.
- Peel and mash the bananas with a fork and set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together ground almonds, buckwheat flour, oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and set aside.
- In a different bowl whisk eggs, maple syrup, melted and cooled coconut oil and vanilla. Mix in mashed bananas.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients until combined and fold in chopped chocolate.
- Spoon the mixture into your lined tin and sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Bake for about 45 min or until a cocktail stick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool down.
To make oat flour blend oats in high speed blender or food processor into flour like consistency.