Because of their sweetness, pears are one of my favourite fruit and fabulous for baking and desserts. And since they’re in season it’s the perfect time to make the most of them.
In this Pear Ginger Cake with Tahini Drizzle, I’m teaming pears with freshly grated ginger and a lovely tahini sauce to serve the cake with. I always loved the pear tahini combination, but if that’s not your cup of tea, you could always switch the tahini with almond butter or completely leave it out if you prefer.
This time I’ve used teff flour in my gluten-free mix and please feel free to switch with other gluten-free flour if you don’t have any on hand like buckwheat, millet, quinoa or oat flour.
I’ve made a pear sauce for this recipe rather than using applesauce and reduced the sugar quite a bit. It makes the cake so beautifully moist, it’s a real treat. To make the pear sauce, peel, quarter and core 2 medium to large pears and place into small pot with little water. Cover and leave to cook until soft. Strain and blend until smooth.
I’ve used two large pears in this cake and you can see in the photos that it’s packed with pear pieces, I loved that. With the tahini drizzle, you can pour it over the cake, it will set on top or serve it with the cake as you prefer. Hope you like it :)
Much Love Hxx
- 2 medium to large pears
- 100g ground almonds (1 cup)
- 35g teff flour (1/4 cup)
- 95g brown rice flour (3/4 cup)
- 30g arrowroot (1/4 cup)
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tsp cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 75g coconut sugar (1/2 cup)
- 2tbsp ground flaxseed + 6tbsp water
- 120ml pear or applesauce (1/2 cup)
- 1tsp freshly grated ginger
- 80ml olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 80ml almond milk (1/3 cup)
- 2tsp apple cider vinegar
- Tahini drizzle:
- 4tbsp tahini
- 2tbsp maple syrup
- ¼tsp cinnamon
- 3-4tbsp almond milk
- toasted flaked almonds
- edible flowers
- thyme sprigs
- Mix 2tbsp ground flaxseed with 6tbsp water and set aside to thicken.
- Peel, quarter and core pears and cut into smaller pieces. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350F)
- Grease and line 10" x 4½" loaf tin.
- In a large bowl whisk together ground almonds, teff flour, brown rice flour, arrowroot, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, salt and sugar and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together flax eggs, pear sauce, grated ginger, olive oil, almond milk and apple cider vinegar.
- Add the wet mix to the dry mix and mix until well combined. You should have muffin consistency.
- Fold in sliced pears.
- Spoon the mixture into your prepared tin and level out the surface.
- Bake for about 40-45 min or until a cocktail stick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs.
- Remove from the oven once ready and leave to cool down for 20 min before removing from the tin.
- Whisk all of the ingredients for the tahini drizzle and either pour over the cake letting it drip over the sides or serve the sauce with the individual cut slices.
- Top with toasted flaked almonds, edible flowers, thyme sprigs or fresh pears.