Last week I’ve done a 4 day gentle detox and this Mung Bean, Squash and Spinach Soup has been my dinner for 3 days. I absolutely loved it, so I’ve made it again this week to share the recipe with you. I’ve followed 4 day food based cleanse from a book called Woman Code by Alisa Vitti. She has included a mung bean minestrone recipe in the book to have during the cleanse, which I have slightly adapted.
It’s a lovely warming nutritious bowl of goodness bursting with flavours, perfect for dinner during those cooler days. I’m becoming a big fan of mung beans really, they cook quickly, are very tasty and make a great curry. This recipe makes a large pot and hopefully you’ll have plenty of leftovers for couple of days. You can play and add different spices – turmeric, cumin or coriander to your taste. You can also make it thicker and serve it with rice for a more substantial meal.
- 250g mung beans (1 1/2 cups), soaked overnight
- 2tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1tbsp finely chopped turmeric
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 small squash, peeled and chopped
- 100g spinach, about 3 handfull
- sea salt & pepper
- 1/2 lemon or lime
- bunch of fresh coriander
- Place mung beans in to a pot, cover with plenty of water, splash of apple cider vinegar and leave to soak overnight.
- When ready to cook, rinse with plenty of water, add 1,25l (5 cups) of water, bring to a boil and leave to simmer for 15min.
- In a pan fry chopped onions with oil for 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger and turmeric and fry for another 5 min.
- Chop carrots and squash and once the mung beans boiled for 15min add to the pot together with fried onion mixture and another 1-2 cups of water if needed.
- Simmer for further 20-30 min until everything is well cooked through.
- Turn off the heat and stir in spinach.
- Season with salt and pepper and juice of half a lemon.
- Serve with a generous amount of chopped fresh coriander.
You can make it thinner or thicker to suit your taste. It will thicken once cooled.