Vegan chocolate and blackberry cupcakes made with spelt flour, very lightly sweetened with maple syrup and topped with scrumptious chocolate and coconut frosting.
I’ve been waiting for blackberries to be in season to share this delicious Chocolate and Blackberry Cupcakes recipe with you. They are just lovely, the chocolate and blackberry combination is divine, very lightly sweetened with maple syrup and topped with scrumptious chocolate and coconut frosting.
I’ve made these yesterday and have eaten four throughout the day, they really are that good and right now I’ve totally overdosed on chocolate. Oh, those little pleasures.
They are vegan and very simple to make, you can easily whisk them by hand, no need for an electric mixer. If you can, make the frosting ahead, it needs quite a bit of time to set. You can use raw cacao or cocoa, whichever you have on hand, other plant milk if you prefer, even different berries.
- 1 cup spelt flour (140 grams)
- 1/4 cup cacao or cocoa powder (30 grams)
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut (50 grams)
- 3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil (80 ml)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (120 ml)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons almond milk (150 ml)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup blackberries (75 grams)
Chocolate and coconut frosting:
- 1 cup coconut cream (240 ml)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 13.5-ounces dark chocolate (100 grams)
- 12 blackberries for topping
- Prepare the chocolate and coconut frosting first as it takes time to set. If you can, prepare the day before and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Chop the dark chocolate and place into a small bowl.
- In a pan mix the coconut cream with coconut flour and heat on a low fire until it comes to a boiling point.
- Pour the mixture over the chopped chocolate and stir until all melted.
- Add the maple syrup and leave to cool down a bit. Transfer to a fridge to set into a spreadable consistency. It will take at least 3 hours to set to spread over cupcakes.
- Preheat the oven to 370 °F (190 °C), 340 °F (170°C fan)
- Line 12 hole cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
- In a bowl whisk together spelt flour, cacao powder, coconut, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a different bowl whisk together olive oil, maple syrup, almond milk, apple cider vinegar and vanilla. Add to the dry mix and stir together until well combined.
- Finally fold in blackberries.
- Spoon the mixture into your prepared cupcake cases and bake for about 25 min or until a cocktail stick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven once ready and leave to cool for 15 min before moving onto a wire rack leaving to cool down completely.
- Frost with a generous dollop of chocolate and coconut frosting and top with fresh blackberries.
- Store in a fridge for up to 2-3 days.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 314Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 119mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 4gSugar: 30gProtein: 4g