Making apple and rosemary bread has been on my to try recipes list for a while now and I finally got to make the recipe today. Adapted from my Grain Free Banana Bread recipe it’s a lovely moist bread made with chestnut flour and ground almonds, perfect if you’re on a grain-free diet or just fancy trying something quite different.
Chestnut flour is a sweet tasting flour made from milled chestnuts; although it can be a little pricey, it’s well worth having as an occasional treat. You can experiment by adding chestnut flour to breads, cakes and pancakes to create some tasty new recipes with a difference. Enjoy this apple and rosemary bread for breakfast, as a healthy snack… I love it spread with some almond butter.
Apple and Rosemary Grain Free Bread
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and coarsely grated
- 2tsp lemon juice
- 2tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 150g chestnut flour (1 cup)
- 100g ground almonds (1 cup)
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 60ml olive oil (1/4 cup)
- 2tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan)
- Line a 30x11cm tin with baking paper.
- Peel, core and coarsely grate apples, add lemon juice and set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together chestnut flour, ground almonds, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Stir in finely chopped rosemary and grated apples.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs, olive oil and maple syrup and fold into the dry mix.
- Spoon the mixture into lined tin and bake for 50 min or until a cocktail stick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool down.
- Store in a fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Cecilia Crow says
I love this bread. I fell in love with baking with chestnut flour and only bake with it nowadays. This apple bread recipe is simple and delicious, definitely worth a try!
Thank you Cecilia for your amazing comment! This reminds me I have to get some chestnut flour myself, I forgot how much I love baking with it too! x
Hi Hana, This looks really yummy! I haven’t seen chestnut flour in New Zealand, what other flour might work in its place? Coconut? Thanks.
Hi Joanne, thank you! You should be fine using ground almonds instead of the chestnut flour. If you like to use coconut flour, you could use a little bit and top up with ground almonds, you probably have to add an extra egg or two also. I find baking with coconut flour tricky and don’t use it much, so I can’t give you the exact measurements. Hope this helps:)
I tried your carob banana bread this week and loved it! Do you think/know if this recipe also works with flaxseed/chia instead of eggs?
Hi Judite, I find the grain-free recipes are more tricky, but I did successfully used ground flaxseed egg before in some. I would try it!