Where is this English summer lurking, those summer days with rich blue skies…? We’ve hardly had any of those lovely sunny days this year.
Not sure whether that was the reason wanting to create something really colourful and summery, but this Summer Buckwheat Salad has totally lifted my summer spirits yesterday with all of the colours and summer vibes. I’m totally in love with it, the flavours are amazing and with all of the fresh herbs and beautiful summer fruit this salad is such a treat.
Buckwheat groats work amazingly well in a salad and are really quick to cook so it doesn’t take too long to throw this salad together. I have presoaked my buckwheat overnight and it took me only 3 minutes to boil to perfection. Cooking it only 3 minutes and then rinsing under cold water will give the groats a fresh feel and a nice bite to them. I definitely recommend soaking it, I think it tastes much better and you could even eat it raw or continue to sprout your groats if you like.
To the buckwheat I’ve added some fresh rocket leaves, parsley and mint together with sliced peaches, blueberries and toasted walnuts. I’ve only used a little bit of olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt for the dressing, it doesn’t need much as all of the ingredients are bursting with so many flavours. Here comes the Sun! Enjoy:) x
This Summer Buckwheat Salad was inspired by lovely The First Mess.
- 160g raw buckwheat groats (1 cup), soaked overnight
- 2 handfuls of rocket (arugula)
- small bunch of fresh parley
- 3 sprigs of mint
- sea salt
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- 2 peaches
- 150g blueberries (1 cup)
- 50g walnuts, toasted (1/2 cup)
- Place raw buckwheat groats into ceramic or glass bowl, cover with plenty of water, splash of apple cider vinegar and leave to soak overnight. When ready to cook, place groats into a fine mesh sieve and rinse with plenty of running water. Bring medium pot with water to boil, carefully scoop the buckwheat in and bring back to boil. Boil for 3 minutes, strain and rinse under cold water. Leave in a sieve to drain while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Toast the walnuts for few minutes in a dry pan.
- Wash the rocket leaves (arugula). Wash and roughly chop parsley and mint.
- Wash and slice the peaches. Rinse the blueberries.
- Place cooked buckwheat into a serving dish, add rocket, parsley, mint, sea salt, olive oil and lemon juice and gently toss together. Add sliced peaches and blueberries and sprinkle with toasted walnuts.
- Gently toss and serve!