I’ve been meaning to bring this Vegan Apple Cake recipe to you since October when I made this cake for my birthday. After making it twice more I’m finally happy to share it with you, and after having the most amazing feedback from my friends and family I am confident that you will love this recipe.
It’s a remake of my Gluten-free Apple Cake with Salted Caramel from couple of years ago that still has eggs in the recipe and I really wanted to make a fully vegan version which turned out into more of a celebration cake at the end.
Two ways you can make this cake – as a 6″ two layer cake with the macadamia mascarpone frosting as on the pictures or if you like something more simple – an 8″ cake covered with salted caramel and toasted flaked almonds. Both cakes taste amazing and they will fit different occasions.
For the total indulgence I recommend making the two layer cake with the macadamia frosting and serve it with the salted caramel. The flavours are just stunning.
The cake itself is really moist, I’ve baked it with 2 and with 3 apples. If you’re only baking one layer you can get away with adding more apples. For the layer cake I recommend two as it will be easier to slice.
You can read all about the Vegan Macadamia Mascarpone Frosting that I’ve used in the previous post. Enjoy :)
Much Love Hxx
- 2-3 small apples
- 100g ground almonds (1 cup)
- 35g teff flour (1/4 cup)
- 70g brown rice flour (1/2 cup)
- 30g arrowroot (1/4 cup)
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tsp cinnamon
- ¼tsp ground ginger
- ⅛tsp ground cloves
- pinch sea salt
- 100g coconut sugar (3/4 cup)
- 2tbsp ground flaxseed + 6tbsp water
- 80ml apple sauce (1/3 cup)
- 80ml olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 80ml almond milk (1/3 cup)
- 2tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1tsp vanilla
- 1 quantity Vegan Macadamia Mascarpone Frosting
- To serve:
- 1 quantity Salted Caramel
- Mix 2tbsp ground flaxseed with 6tbsp water and set aside to thicken.
- Peel and quarter apples and cut into smaller pieces. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350F)
- Grease and line two 6" round cake baking tins.
- In a large bowl whisk together ground almonds, teff flour, brown rice flour, arrowroot, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and sugar and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together flax eggs, apple sauce, olive oil, almond milk, apple cider vinegar and vanilla.
- Add the wet mix to the dry mix and mix until well combined. You should have pourable muffin consistency. Fold in sliced apples.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into your prepared tins and level out the surface.
- Bake for about 30-35 min or until a cocktail stick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven once ready and leave to cool down for 20 min before removing from the tin.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, you can frost the cake. Place the bottom layer onto a cake stand and using spatula spread generously with some macadamia frosting. Top with the second cake layer and frost the top and the sides of the cake.
- Store in fridge before serving.
- Decorate your cake to your liking with fresh flowers, toasted flaked almonds,...
- Serve with salted caramel for extra indulgence. Enjoy!
If you're only baking one layer cake you can get away with adding more apples. For the two layer cake I recommend two apples as it will be easier to slice.