This week I’ve decided to have a parsnip week starting with this incredibly delicious Parsnip Pizza with Roasted Carrot Parsnip Hummus and hopefully a cake later this week. This pizza is like a sunshine on the plate, just what we need in January!
Adapted from my Parsnip and Thyme Grain-free Crackers I promise this will be one of the tastiest pizza bases you’ve ever tried. I’ve topped the base with roasted carrot and parsnip hummus, winter purslane and pears. I know it sounds totally unusual, but let me assure you the flavours are amazing:)
The base is simple to make with a mixture of grated parsnips, ground hazelnuts, ground sunflower seeds, flaxseed and thyme. I’ve used already blanched hazelnuts, hence the colour looks lovely golden. You have to simply mix everything together to make a dough and roll out into about 10″ size round base. It will take about 30 minutes to bake.
The hummus is made with roasted carrots, parsnips and chickpeas. I don’t add tahini to this hummus, but you can always add some if you prefer. I’ve also added some Golden Paste, since I have plenty left in the fridge, it ads the beautiful golden colour and touch of flavour.
For topping I’ve chosen winter purslane, because it’s in season right now and at the best at this time of the year, plus I love it. Alternatively you could use rocket leaves or watercress. Finally I’ve added some beautifully sweet pears, because I think parsnip and pears go lovely together and I really recommend that you try it. Enjoy:)
Parsnip Pizza with Roasted Carrot Parsnip Hummus (grain-free & vegan)
- 160g parsnips, peeled and coarsely grated (1 1/4 cup)
- 1tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 100g ground blanched hazelnuts (1 cup)
- 60g sunflower seeds (1/2 cup)
- 30g ground flaxseed (1/4 cup)
- 1tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Roasted carrot parsnip hummus:
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium parsnips
- 1x400g can chickpeas (1½ cup)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp golden paste
- 60ml olive oil (1/4 cup)
- juice of ½ lemon
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- winter purslane
- 1 pear
- sunflower seeds
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (400F)
- Peel and coarsely grate parsnips, squeeze lemon juice over, add thyme and set aside.
- Place the sunflower seeds and hazelnuts into a food processor or high speed blender and process until finely ground.
- Scrape into a bowl, add the flaxseed, sea salt and peeper and whisk until combined.
- Add the parsnip mixture and using your hands mix until it just comes together into a dough.
- Shape the dough into a flat disk and roll between two sheets of baking paper into about 10" round shape, about 1/4" thickness. Use your hands to even out the edges as you are rolling the dough out. This part can be fiddly, so have patience with it.
- Transfer with the bottom baking paper onto a flat tray and bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown and baked at the bottom. It should be slightly crispy around the edges, but still retain some softness in centre.
- To make the hummus peel and diagonally slice the carrots and parsnips into quarters and place onto a medium baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil, season with sea salt and roast on 200°C (400F) for about 30 minutes.
- Place chickpeas, garlic, cumin, golden paste, olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, black pepper and the roasted veggies into a food processor and blend until smooth consistency. Check for seasoning.
- Once pizza is ready spread generous amount of hummus on top and top with winter purslane, sliced pear and sunflower seeds.
- Enjoy warm or cold! Delicious either way.
Start by roasting the veggies for the hummus 10 minutes before adding the pizza into the oven to have everything ready more less at the same time.
Diana | by Dreams Factory says
It looks AMAZING, can’t wait to try it!
Thank you so much Diana! Hope you like it :)
Sasha @ Eat Love Eat says
Oh Hana, this looks so lovely! The flavours sound amazing and I love the photos too! So creative :) looking forward to the cake! xxx
Thank you so much Sasha! I’m so happy you think so, I absolutely loved creating this recipe :) xxx
Hi Hana, love this pizza and LOVE that you used purslane. I often eat purslane as it is so full of nutrients, but feel like so few people have heard of it. I can’t wait to try it on this pizza.
Hi Laurel, I’m so happy to hear that! I love purslane too, it’s such a shame it’s not more widely available. I’ve been eating some everyday while I can get it at my local Farmers market. xx
This looks lovely Hana :) nice to see you earlier today, Deb
Thank you Deb, me too! Looks like you found me :) xx
This hummus recipe is amazing Hana!! I didn’t have enough parsnips to make the pizza sadly, so I’ll try that another time but for now the hummus with some salad has made me very happy! :-) X
Thank you so much Teresa, so happy you loved it! Next time I’m making the pizza I’ll bring you a slice :) xxx
I really want to try, I am not grain free though because of a newly found allergy to tree nuts. What would a good substitute flour be?
Hi Alexandra, you can still use the sunflower seeds and flax and replace the hazelnuts with a high protein gluten-free flour like buckwheat, millet, quinoa, amaranth, brown rice or ground oats. I think any will work ok, but you might have to adjust the quantity. Hope it goes well :)