Delicious grain-free vegan pizza with roasted carrot parsnip hummus, winter purslane and pears.
This week I’ve decided to have a parsnip week starting with this incredibly delicious Parsnip Pizza with Roasted Carrot Parsnip Hummus and hopefully a cake later this week. This pizza is like a sunshine on the plate, just what we need in January!
Adapted from my Parsnip and Thyme Grain-free Crackers I promise this will be one of the tastiest pizza bases you’ve ever tried. I’ve topped the base with roasted carrot and parsnip hummus, winter purslane and pears. I know it sounds totally unusual, but let me assure you the flavors are amazing:)
The base is simple to make with a mixture of grated parsnips, ground hazelnuts, ground sunflower seeds, flaxseed and thyme. I’ve used already blanched hazelnuts, hence the color looks lovely golden. You have to simply mix everything together to make a dough and roll out into about 10″ size round base. It will take about 30 minutes to bake.
The hummus is made with roasted carrots, parsnips and chickpeas. I don’t add tahini to this hummus, but you can always add some if you prefer. I’ve also added some Golden Paste, since I have plenty left in the fridge, it ads the beautiful golden color and touch of flavor.
For topping I’ve chosen winter purslane, because it’s in season right now and at the best at this time of the year, plus I love it. Alternatively you could use rocket leaves or watercress. Finally I’ve added some beautifully sweet pears, because I think parsnip and pears go lovely together and I really recommend that you try it. Enjoy:)
- 1 1/4 cups parsnips, peeled and coarsely grated (160 grams)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 cup ground blanched hazelnuts (100 grams)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (60 grams)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (30 grams)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Roasted carrot parsnip hummus:
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium parsnips1 1/2 cup chickpeas (400 grams)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon golden paste
- 1/4 cup olive oil (60 ml)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- winter purslane
- 1 pear
- sunflower seeds
- Preheat your oven to 400 °F (200 °C)
- Peel and coarsely grate parsnips, squeeze lemon juice over, add thyme and set aside.
- Place the sunflower seeds and hazelnuts into a food processor or high speed blender and process until finely ground.
- Scrape into a bowl, add the flaxseed, sea salt and peeper and whisk until combined.
- Add the parsnip mixture and using your hands mix until it just comes together into a dough.
- Shape the dough into a flat disk and roll between two sheets of baking paper into about 10" round shape, about 1/4" thickness. Use your hands to even out the edges as you are rolling the dough out. This part can be fiddly, so have patience with it.
- Transfer with the bottom baking paper onto a flat tray and bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown and baked at the bottom. It should be slightly crispy around the edges, but still retain some softness in center.
- To make the hummus peel and diagonally slice the carrots and parsnips into quarters and place onto a medium baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil, season with sea salt and roast on 400 °F (200 °C) for about 30 minutes.
- Place chickpeas, garlic, cumin, golden paste, olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, black pepper and the roasted veggies into a food processor and blend until smooth consistency. Check for seasoning.
- Once pizza is ready spread generous amount of hummus on top and top with winter purslane, sliced pear and sunflower seeds.
- Enjoy warm or cold! Delicious either way.
Start by roasting the veggies for the hummus 10 minutes before adding the pizza into the oven to have everything ready more less at the same time.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 1395Total Fat: 96gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 81gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 4957mgCarbohydrates: 119gFiber: 34gSugar: 43gProtein: 34g