Wholesome gluten-free, nut-free & vegan chocolate orange cake with chocolate orange teff frosting.
Special thank you to Amore di Mona for sponsoring this post.
We are almost at the end of this year and I have one more cake for you to help you celebrate the end of this year and new beginnings. With this Vegan Chocolate Orange Cake I’ve gone little more adventurous and have made a full blown four layer cake with chocolate orange teff frosting.
Developed in my collaboration with Amore di Mona of vegan, gluten-free, nut and coconut-free recipes this is a real wholefood cake with strong flavors and minimum amount of sweeteners. But don’t let that fool you, because this cake is a pure indulgence:)
I wrote this recipe for two layer cake, so whether you like to make two or four layer cake it will be easier for you. The sponge is fairly simple to make with a mix of teff, buckwheat and tapioca flours. I’ve used maple syrup for sweetener, I find that it makes the chocolate sponge little more moist than when using sugar. I’ve added fair amount of orange zest and juice and the flavor comes through beautifully. One large orange should give you just enough orange juice for the recipe and if not add little bit of water to make the amount.
The chocolate teff frosting is not complicated, but you have to get the consistency right, so it’s not too loose and you can frost the cake easily. It tastes amazing and really compliments the rest of the cake. For decoration I’ve used pomegranate and orange to contrast the deep chocolate color which creates beautiful finish to the cake.
- 3/4 cup teff flour (95 grams)
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour (70 grams)
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour (30 grams)
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder (30 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 orange, zest
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (120 ml)
- 1/3 cup olive oil (80 ml)
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup orange juice (120 ml)
Chocolate teff frosting:
- 1/2 cup teff flour (70 grams)
- 1 3/4 cup plant milk (420 ml)
- 3.5-ounce dark vegan chocolate (100 grams)
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 orange, zest
- 3.5-ounce dark vegan chocolate (100 grams)
- pomegranate & orange for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C)
- Grease and line 2 x 6" round cake baking tin. I tend to line the base and dust the sides.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of water and set aside to thicken.
- In a large bowl whisk together teff flour, buckwheat flour, tapioca, cacao, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and salt. Whisk in orange zest and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together maple syrup, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, orange juice and flax eggs.
- Add the wet mix to the dry mix and mix until well combined. It will thicken as you stir. You should have thicker cake batter consistency.
- Evenly divide the mixture between the two cake tins and level out the surface.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a cocktail stick comes out with just few crumbs on.
- Remove from the oven once ready and leave to cool down for 20 minutes before carefully moving onto a wire rack.
- To make the frosting finely chop chocolate and set aside. In a small pot whisk teff flour with rice milk and gently heat on low fire stirring until the mixture thickens and it comes to boil. You should have thicker oatmeal consistency. Stir in maple syrup followed by chocolate and stir until completely smooth. Leave to cool down and transfer into fridge until you're ready to frost the cake. Mix in very finely grated orange zest when completely cooled or just before frosting the cake.
- Once ready to frost the cake, place one cake onto serving platter, spread with frosting and place the second one on top. I've made 4 layer cake, so please double everything if you like your cake this tall. Frost the top and sides of the cake.
- Melt the chocolate for the coating in double boiler or microwave and leave to cool down. Pour the chocolate glaze on top and gently smooth out to the sides so it runs over the edge.
- Decorate with some fresh pomegranate and orange slices.
This recipe makes two layer cake. Please double the ingredients to make four layer cake as on the pictures.
There's a fine line when making the teff frosting. If the frosting feels too thick after adding chocolate, you can add little warmed milk to loosen it. If it feels too thin, add more chocolate, cacao or you can make more teff mix with less milk so it's very thick which you can stir into the frosting.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 490Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 289mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 7gSugar: 38gProtein: 10g