Special thank you to Amore di Mona for sponsoring this post.
I’m quickly jumping in today with these yummy Chocolate Star Cookies, a new recipe that I have created for Amore di Mona vegan chocolate. You will love that it’s a very simple recipe with very few ingredients.
The dough is a mix of sunflower seeds, quinoa flakes, cacao and medjool dates and it’s very easy to work with. It’s a very different dough that you would expect to make cookies with, but in my opinion it worked really well.
I’ve recently replaced oats with quinoa flakes in my morning porridge and that’s why I’ve decided to try them in this recipe. They aren’t as widely available and if you can’t find them, you could use millet flakes or even oats if you can tolerate them.
Depending how you like your cookies, bake them for 10 minutes to achieve a soft chewy cookies or leave them for up to 20 minutes for more crispy texture. Then dip them into melted chocolate and you can sprinkle them with your choice of toppings for more variety. I’ve used some shelled hemp seeds, which looked really pretty. Enjoy!
Chocolate Star Cookies (gluten-free & vegan)
- 70g sunflower seeds (1/2 cup)
- 50g quinoa flakes (1/2 cup)
- 2tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1/2tsp cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 5 soft medjool dates, pitted
- 1tbsp maple syrup
- 50g bulk chocolate (1 cube) or dark vegan chocolate (1.75oz)
- shelled hemp seeds (optional)
- Place sunflower seeds and quinoa flakes into food processor or high speed blender and blend until you've achieved flour consistency.
- Add cacao powder, cinnamon and sea salt and pulse couple of times to blend in.
- Add pitted medjool dates and blend until the mixture starts sticking together.
- Finally add 1tbsp of maple syrup and blend until it comes into a smooth dough.
- Scoop the dough out onto a clean surface, shape into a disk, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 1/2 hour to an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (320F)
- Place the dough between 2 sheets of greaseproof baking paper and roll out until about 5mm thickness.
- Cut out cookies using star cookie cutter and place onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes for a soft chewy cookies or longer for a more crispy ones.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Roughly chop the chocolate for coating, place into heatproof bowl and gently melt in a double boiler. Stir until smooth.
- Dip one side of each cookie into the chocolate and place onto wire rack to set.
- Sprinkle with few shelled hemp seeds for simple decoration.
These look great! They have a raw cookie appearance to them. Love the short, nutritious ingredient list!
Thank you so much Nicole! They are based on raw cookies :)
Yum! I’m adding this to my ‘to bake’ list with my 3 year old daughter. Guilt-free indulgence ;-)
Hi Jennifer, I’m so happy to hear that. Hope you both enjoy making these cookies:)