I’ve been offline for the last few days enjoying some fantastic time with my family and friends on a small island in Algarve and now back in the North and the “internet zone” in time to post this Socca Pizza with Hemp and Pumpkin Seed Kale Pesto.
I’ve been eyeing socca pizza on Pinterest for a while now and decided to try my own version. I topped mine with Tuscan Kale, Hemp and Pumpkin Seed Pesto that I really love, some sundried tomatoes, fresh rocket leaves and kalamata olives. It’s simple and so tasty. Just looking at these pictures I wish I could have a slice!
If you’re new like me to socca pizza, the batter is a simple mix of chickpea flour, water, olive oil and salt. You can make it very quickly and add any of your favourite toppings. After whisking the batter leave it to stand for at least 30 minutes for the mix to thicken to a single cream consistency or it can be left refrigerated overnight.
You can cook the pizza in the oven or on the stove. I’ve made mine on the stove using a cast iron pan, I found that way quicker and with less fuss. Just cook the pizza until slightly browned and easy to flip over. Top with anything you fancy. Enjoy:)
- 120g chickpea flour (1 cup)
- 240ml water (1 cup)
- 1tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
- 1/2 quantity Tuscan Kale, Hemp and Pumpkin Seed Pesto
- 4 sundried tomatoes, soaked and sliced
- handful fresh rocket (arugula)
- few kalamata olives
- In a medium bowl whisk chickpea flour, water, olive oil and sea salt and set aside. Leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Make 1/2 the quantity of Tuscan Kale, Hemp and Pumpkin Seed Pesto.
- Soak sundried tomatoes in some hot water for about 20 minutes if using dry ones.
- Brush about 10" iron cast skillet with little olive oil and bring to a medium heat. Once hot pour all of the batter on top and swirl around to spread out evenly. Cook for about 5 minutes until it looks cooked on top and golden at the bottom and you can easily flip it over. Flip over and cook until golden and slightly browned on both sides.
- Spread pesto over the top, top with sliced sundried tomatoes, rocket leaves and olives.
- Serve and enjoy!