Today I’ve got these yummy high protein Baked Quinoa Balls recipe for you. They are simple to make and very handy to have in your fridge for quick snacks or addition to quick weekday salads and lunches. They bake well, are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. I’ve made this recipe by mixing cooked quinoa with some ground almonds, flaxseed, spring onions, dried cranberries, fresh parsley and little seasoning.
You could easily change the seasoning to your taste and add different ingredients, I think the recipe is quite open to experimentation. I’ve used mix of white and red quinoa in this recipe and feel free to use any you have on hand. You want to have the quinoa slightly overcooked and still warm which will create sticky mixture that will be easy to form the balls. You can experiment with making the balls smaller or bigger, but I find it’s easier to make larger ones. Bake for about 25-30 minutes until you see them starting to slightly brown. Enjoy:)
- 180g quinoa (1 cup)
- 50g ground almonds (1/2 cup)
- 1tbsp flaxseed
- sea salt & pepper
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 50g dried cranberries, chopped (1/3 cup)
- small bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1tbsp olive oil
- Measure 1 cup of quinoa, rinse well and place into a pot. Add double the volume of water and bring to a boil. Simmer covered for about 18-20 min until all the water is absorbed and the quinoa is just slightly overcooked. Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 5 min. Fluff up with a fork and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan)
- Line 1 baking sheet with baking paper.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the quinoa and stir everything together. You want to have the quinoa slightly overcooked and still warm which will create sticky mixture that will be easy to form the balls.
- With your hands make balls (about 1½tbsp size) and place onto lined baking sheet. If your hands get too sticky wash them in between.
- Bake for about 25-30min until they look crispy and start to slightly brown.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Store in a fridge in an airtight container.